How To Spot Quality
Selecting your dream engagement ring is one of the most significant purchases you'll ever make. Lesson number one: do not settle for mediocrity. Try on several rings to get a feel for quality craftsmanship, develop an eye for diamonds that sparkle and look for quality settings that will enhance your centre diamond. Take a few minutes to study the key points below and become an informed engagement ring shopper.
An engagement ring is designed to be worn every day and should last a lifetime. Anything you plan to wear forever should be created with meticulous attention to detail. Shoulder diamonds must match for clarity, colour and cut, and be evenly set. Beware of mass produced rings which may be identified by light weight hollow bands, poor casting and porosity. These rings are not as expensive up front, but they will break down over time resulting in higher repair costs and a ring that doesn't last a lifetime. Quality can be seen as strength and durability. Here are some tips to look for:-
To gain the most impact and maximum beauty, shoulder diamonds should be evenly matched for colour, shape and sparkle. They should all look the same and should all be evenly set.
Channel set diamonds
It is important for channel set diamonds to be uniformly set, with no gaps. If the setting contains gaps or is not evenly set, the diamonds may fall out. Sometimes it helps to look at the ring setting through a magnifier (you can download an App to make your i-phone into a magnifying glass). A 10 x magnification setting is recommended for this.
Polish and finish
The metal on the ring should be smooth, shiny, lustrous and have a high polished finish. This will ensure that your ring will last a lifetime. Any rough spots or surface holes in the metal may indicate a porosity problem which will get worse over time and cannot be repaired. Porosity is caused by ‘over cooking’ or ‘undercooking’ the metal or a poor mixture of alloys.
The band itself is important as it is the foundation of your ring. Make sure you look at the thickness of the band. When less metal is used, the initial cost may be lower, but the ring may wear and crack over time. A light weight band will wear out quickly or may even be hollow. A thicker band with a solid foundation will last a lifetime
Hennings Diamond Difference
Some styles of engagement rings you will see in our Henning’s windows will range from the beautifully elegant solitaire, to halo rings, to rings with shoulder stones and also to that one off piece that has never been seen before. Our expert craftsmen alongside our talented and experienced design staff can help you from that very first step of stone selection to setting types and then the finished product.
At Hennings, we want you to be able to purchase your dream diamond ring, and we want make your engagement purchase very special. We care about your diamond and because of this we believe that Your experience shouldn’t end when you purchase your precious piece. We are there for you now and into the future. That’s why we offer you the Hennings Diamond Difference, to ensure your diamond jewellery sparkles throughout its lifetime – and beyond.
We’ll treat you to:
- Written valuation for your ring – this will tell you about the quality of your diamond and the type of metal used to make the ring
- Complimentary lifetime spa treatment: includes polishing and ultrasonic cleaning. We also check ring and claw wear, stone secureness, centre diamond claw alignment, and shank roundness.
- Complimentary rhodium plating for white gold rings to ensure that the metal continues to have that shiny highly polished look.
- Diamond Upgrade Guarantee (see below)
- Seven-year diamond guarantee
- Free diamond polishing cloth
- Free membership to the Showcase Jewellers’ Vault
HENNINGS DIAMOND UPGRADE GUARANTEE
110% OF THE VALUE OF YOUR SOLITAIRE DIAMOND, GUARANTEED
Diamond ownership is a long-term investment and when you buy from Hennings you know we’re with you now, and in the future.
Our 110% Upgrade Guarantee is one way we can help.
We understand that sometime down the track you may wish to build on your investment. Maybe your tastes simply changed. Maybe it’s to celebrate an anniversary, a birth or other momentous occasion. Or maybe just because you deserve it.
At that time, we’ll honour 110% of your original purchase price to help you trade up to something that better suits your requirements.
Of course you may prefer us to refurbish and/or remodel your existing piece; we’ll happily consult with you to give you the best options.
Hennings Jewellers will grow right alongside you.
TERMS RELATING TO HENNINGS DIAMOND UPGRADE GUARANTEE
- Applies towards the purchase of any new diamond merchandise, provided the price of the new item or items is at least twice the original purchase price
- You must have your original sales receipt to verify the original purchase price
- Applies up to the value of $25,000
- Applies to the centre stone in a diamond ring with a weight larger than 0.20ct, Diamond Solitaire, Diamond Earrings at 1/4 carat total weight or larger, or Solitaire Diamond Pendant at 1/4 carat total weight or larger
- Additional charges may apply for re-modelling when the new diamond is not being set into the existing setting
- Online Purchases can only be traded up in one of our stores