How to Look After Your Diamond
How to look after your diamond
For many of us, a diamond is a significant investment. It holds both sentimental and real value – making your diamond an everlasting treasure to cherish.
Diamonds are as durable as they are precious. But it’s still important to take care of them so they last a lifetime – and beyond.
Top tips to caring for your diamond
Detergent, cleaning products and natural body oils can dull diamonds. Keep them clean and sparkling with these tips:
- Take your rings off when washing dishes, gardening or doing housework
- Wipe jewellery with a soft cloth
- As the only material that can scratch a diamond is another diamond store your diamond jewellery individually
- Regularly clean your diamonds – or ask our jewellers about the Hennings Diamond Difference
Diamond cleaning methods
Our jewellers can clean your diamond jewellery properly, to ensure they maintain their brilliance and fire.
Or you can clean your diamonds in one of four ways:
- Soapy bath: Place your jewellery in a small bowl of warm water and add a dash of mild detergent. Use a soft brush and gently scrub the jewellery until the detergent lathers. Rinse the piece with water and dry with a soft cloth.
- Cold soak: In a bowl, stir 1 part ammonia with 5 parts water. Soak the diamond for a few minutes, remove it from the water and tap it gently with a soft brush. Place it back in the water and then drain on paper towel.
- Liquid cleaner: Use a liquid jewellery cleaner – following the directions on the label – to restore your diamond to its natural beauty.
- Clean machine: You can buy a machine that cleans diamond jewellery. If you’re unsure of how to use the machine, check with your jeweller.